Dec 15, 2016
Jimmy Russell, Master Distiller and Legend at Wild Turkey, sits
down to tell his story. He thinks he’s “Plain Ol’ Jimmy” but once
you hear his stories about childhood, befriending the likeness of
greats in the industry, and sharing his wealth of knowledge you
will see he really is an icon.
- I want to talk about your history before Wild Turkey.
- Talk a little bit about your childhood and upbringing. Sports,
basketball, track, baseball.
- I know your father and grandfather were in this whiskey
business, is that why you got into the bourbon industry?
- Were you always around bourbon?
- What made you come to Wild Turkey in beginning?
- What was the state of Wild Turkey when you joined?
- How big was the operation?
- Who were your mentors?
- How have you embraced a lot of modern distillation techniques
with computers and automation taking over?
- What was life like for you before the boom?
- Did you ever make any radical changes to Wild Turkey?
- You were best friends with the greatest minds in the industry
before bourbon was cool. Talk about the comradery between people
like you, Elmer, Booker, and the like.
- Now that bourbon is in the spotlight, are you hesitant on
taking a backseat because at 82 years old, you won’t stop and you
continue to travel to talk about Wild Turkey.
- Your son Eddie now has taken the spot light. What’s it mean to
you that you get to trust the business to him?
- From @bourbonooga: Do they wish the old distillery was still
down by where Warehouse A sits?
- From @Primo55: The eternal debate: Cheesy Gold Foil 12yr or
Split Label 12 yr?
- What do you think is the best product that ever came out of
- Give us your thoughts on the 6-8 vs older aged bourbons?
- From @BreakingBourbon: Share a drink with anyone
past/present/future who would it be and why?
- What are some of those things that you want to leave as a