Dec 28, 2017
Enjoying a glass of bourbon while smoking a cigar seems like an
average Friday night to some people. However, pairing a
bourbon and cigar can be more complicated than you think. We sit
down with Jake
Glancy and Jeremy Kendrick of Jake's Cigar Bar to get a
complete cigar 101 lesson on everything from cuts, types, leaf
varieties, and more to understand how the unique flavor of a cigar
will compliment different types of bourbon. You will want to rush
outside and smoke a cigar after listening to this one!
Episode Sponsors: Ledbury offers
premium high-quality button-down shirts and apparel with easy
returns and top-notch customer service. Visit Ledbury.com/bourbon today
and use the code BOURBON at checkout to get 20% off your first
Watches have a modern and contemporary style the looks
bold and professional. So Don’t just get A watch, get THE
watch. Get 15% off all of Vincero’s stunning collection
using promo code BOURBON Show Notes:
- Let's start from the beginning and talk about the types of
- How do you pick the ring gauge or size of cigars?
- Talk about the wrappers and what flavors each type release
- What's the difference between tobacco in Nicaragua and Honduras
versus in Kentucky?
- Talk about hand-rolled versus machine-rolled.
- Bourbon drinkers have a progression from mixing to neat, what
about cigar smokers?
- What do you mean by tasting a cigar by "thirds"?
- It's moving from cigars and scotch to cigars and bourbon.
What's the initiative?
- Describe the different shapes of cigars
- When you're smoking a cigar do your taste buds or receptors
change rather than drinking bourbon alone?
- What's the sweet spot for the third in your opinion?
- I'm going to throw some bourbons at you and you tell me what
cigars would pair well.
- Talk about higher in proof bourbons like Stagg Jr and barrel
proof bourbons and the cigars that pair well
- It seems like Four Roses pairs well with any cigar
- Talk about barrel aged cigars
- What about something super light like 80 proof Basil Hayden
- Rye whiskey is growing in popularity. How does rye whiskey
stand up in cigar pairing?
- How about something that's super oaky like Elijah Craig 23?
- How about finished bourbons like Angel's Envy port finished
- The craft market is booming but what do you pair with something
that has a grain forward flavor?
- Talk about the Van
Winkle Cigars. Are they good or are they hype?
- I see a lot more Barrel aged cigars on the market and I am
curious for recommendations and also some info on the technique and
how it imparts the flavor from the barrel to the tobacco.
- Are Cubans really that much better?
- Get 15% off at Jake's by mentioning you heard
about them on Bourbon Pursuit!